Fresh IngredientsInspirationLifestyle TipsProducts I Love

The Wonders of Hemp

The Wonders of Hemp

The superfood Hemp never ceases to amaze me. As a true superfood with more than twelve attributes of medicinal properties, hemp is a seed to definitely include in your life on a daily basis. Researchers and medical doctors consider hemp to be one of the most nutritious food sources on the planet.

With the problems of a meat eating diet with artificial chemicals, pesticides and radioactive materials we need to look lower on the food chain for our food sources. One of the best sources of plant protein is found in hemp seeds with its enzymes in tact. Unique to hemp is edestin which comprises more than 65% of the globular protein, with no other plant having this level of highly digestible protein. The other 35% is made up of albumin which is also an easily digestible form of protein. Edestin and albumin are broad-spectrum proteins that are hypo-allergenic (low in allergy forming reactions). Many are allergic to common high-protein foods such as milk, whey, eggs and soy.

Shelled hempseed is 35 % protein, 47% fat and 12% carbohydrate. Hemp contains all the essential amino acids and essential fatty acids necessary to maintain human life. Hemp is unparalleled in its amino acid complex and perfect balance of essential fatty acids in such an easily digestible form.

47% of each hemp seed is balanced with omega–3 (alpha-linolenic acid) and omega–6 fatty acids (linolenic acid and gamma-linolenic acid). Hemp seeds also have a high content of vitamin E (three times higher than flax) in the form of alpha-, beta-, gamma-, and delta-tocopherol and alpha-tocotrienols. Additionally they contain monounsaturated  omega–9 fatty acids, which is a beautifying oil.

Lecithin is also present in these wonder seeds which is brain building and supports the liver. Another fact that is outstanding is that hemp contains chlorophyll which is a cellular building block and allows healthy, vibrant cell proliferation.

Consuming help also nourishes the immune system. Edestin is a plant globulin, almost all antibodies, enzymes, hormones, hemoglobin molecules and fibrogin are globular proteins and can be made out of edestin. Due to the high content of globulin-building materials (edestin) in hemp, eating it on a regular basis will provide the body necessary resources to transport information and raw materials and support the immune system and immune response.

Consuming coconut oil with hemp seeds has proven to increase the effectiveness of the omega-3 fatty acid absorption.

I love hemp seeds just alone or sprinkled on salads. I put them in smoothies and make pesto with them, you can also buy hemp seed butter and spread it on bread or crackers. This is an excellent addition to your children’s lunch boxes as an alternative to peanut butter to better enhance their immunity and brain development.

I love to make hemp seed salad dressings and use the extracted oil in dressings and on skin. Be sure the pressed hemp seed oils you are buying are refrigerated and in dark bottles to ensure the best quality possible.

Hemp milk is delicious and a great alternative to cow milk. This is by far the easiest nut milk to make because it really does not need any soaking of the nuts nor does it need to be strained. I use it as a base for smoothies, in desserts and on granola.

 

Hemp Milk

1 cup hemp seeds

4 cups water (best ever)

1 pinch Celtic sea salt

1/4 t vanilla bean (omit if using for savory recipes)

 

Blend all ingredients until well mixed and serve. Will keep 2-3 days in fridge. Store in glass.

 

 

Previous post

Breakfast Anew, Raw, Affordable Buckwheat Mesquite Cereal

Next post

The Miracle of Coconut Oil