The health benefits of lavender are endless. It can help with pain to skin ailments to respiratory issues.
The beautiful color and sweet scent have placed lavender in homes over the centuries as a scent enhancer, to use in cooking, as medicine, in perfume, and as small decoration.
The Latin name of Lavender is ‘lavare’ means to wash. It has a very clean and calming scent, which has kept it popular over the centuries to people from all different walks of life.
The scent goes well with other essential oils and is used quite frequently in gels, lotions, soaps, oils, and infusion.
Lavender deserves a place in all holistic home remedy cabinets to have on hand for all types of ailments.
Here are a few surprising benefits of lavender oil:
- To stop a runny nose, dab a bit of lavender oil under your nose.
- For nausea or motion sickness dab lavender oil around your belly button or behind your ears. Also great for morning sickness.
- When your head hurts, dab a bit of lavender oil on your temples. It helps with migraines, headaches, depression, nervous tension and emotional stress.
- Bug repellent, apply essential oil to exposed skin when enjoying the outdoors. It also serves as relief from the itchy bite due to its inflammatory benefits.
- For insomnia, it’s one of the most widely recommended natural treatments. Place it on your pillows for a deep nights sleep.
- When nervous, lavender is calming for anxiety issues. It removes nervous exhaustion and restlessness. Studies have shown it increases cognitive function.
- Respiratory disorders benefit from lavender including flu, cough, cold, asthma, sinus, and more. Apply to either the neck chest or back, to your vaporizer or inhaler. It breaks up congestion and provides antibacterial qualities.
- To help prevent acne, dab essential oil on your skin to remove the red raised sores.
- Helpful pain relief for muscles, aches, rheumatism, sprains, and backache. Massage your joints with lavender to provide relief.
- For some reason lavender has a stimulating effect on urine production. It also provides relief for inflammation and cramps.
- Hair care benefits from lavender oil to treat lice their eggs and nits. Hair loss treatment, in fact 40% of alopecia patience in a Scottish study reported hair growth with regular application to the scalp.
- Blood circulation is improved and it also helps to lower blood pressure. Therefore it promotes muscle strength and health. The brain can also benefit from the circulation boost, as well as skin and heart.
*Something to note, pregnant, breastfeeding women, and those with diabetes should avoid using lavender oil. Those with sensitive skin should exercise caution when first trying out the essential oil.
What are your favorite uses of lavender essential oil?